“The Fifty Shades of Grey” movie is back on, and Christian Grey has been cast…AGAIN!
Less than two weeks after Charlie Hunnam dropped out of Fifty Shades of Grey, the Sam Taylor-Johnson-directed romance has found a new leading man,Irish actor Jamie Dornan has landed the lead of billionaire and S&M connoisseur, Christian Grey. Dornan’s screen test with female lead Dakota Johnson sealed the deal and he is set to start shooting on 1 November. “He had the right balance of chemistry” with the film’s female lead Dakota Johnson who will be playing Anastasia Steele.
Hunnam and Johnson were initially cast in September after months of speculation. However, the production hit a major speed bump when Hunnam abruptly dropped out. At the time, the Sons of Anarchy star cited scheduling conflicts as the reason for his exit, but behind-the-scenes sources indicated that arguments over the script, a low payday, and a reluctance to step into the spotlight were the real cause of his exit.
Hunnam, for his part, has since explained that he backed off for reasons both professional and personal. “I am just really concentrating on work. It’s been a really busy time,” he said. “I have had some family stuff going on, so just trying to stay focused and stay positive and keep trying to do a good job at work and be with my family and stay positive.”
Though fans had fantasized about A-list actors who might fill the part, producer Michael De Luca revealed earlier this week that they were now considering a different approach.
“I feel like everyone has an idea of what these characters look like and sound like, so to present the world with fresh faces — where no pre-conceived notions or baggage come with it — is best,” he told the LA Times. “It’s like casting Superman or James Bond. A fresh face is appropriate.”
Dornan appears to be the perfect fit for Grey. He’s a former model who’s appeared in ad campaigns for Christian Dior, Armani and Calvin Klein.so he’s used to showing a little skin on camera. Stateside, Dornan’s best known for his role as Sheriff Graham/The Huntsman on ABC’s Once Upon a Time. Fifty Shades of Grey will be a vast departure from that G-rated series.
9 Things to know about the 31 year old Irish actor Jaime:
1. Early in his career Dornan modeled for the likes of Armani and Calvin Klein. For the latter he worked with Kate Moss and oiled up with Eva Mendes for a racy underwear shoot. In an interview with Red earlier this year, Dornan said that he felt his shoots were more of a curse than a blessing when it came to launching an acting career in the UK. “There’s a massive stigma attached to it,” he said. “You couldn’t possibly have had your photograph taken for a living and act.”
2. His big-screen acting break came in 2006 with Sofia Coppola’s divisive slice of frothy historical fiction Marie Antoinette. Dornan played the excellently-named Axel von Fersen, a Swedish general with whom Antoinette allegedly had an affair.
3. Dornan is also a musician, and played in the band Sons of Jim throughout his 20s. The group split up in 2008, but not before they were able to bag a support slot touring with KT Tunstall.
4. Dornan dated Keira Knightley for two years, just after the actress hit the big time with Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. The pair met in 2003 during a photo shoot in Manhattan. Dornan has since been quoted as saying that Knightley “broke his heart”, although he has denied reports that he wrote a song about their break-up.
5. The siren call of US television reached Dornan in 2011, when he was cast in ABC’s hit fairy tale series Once Upon A Time to play a modern-day counterpart of The Huntsman from Snow White. Not to be typecast as a goodie, he followed up this breakthrough with a starring role as a serial killer opposite Gillian Anderson in acclaimed BBC drama The Fall.
6. There’s acting royalty in Dornan’s family – he’s the great nephew of feted British star Greer Garson. Garson earned seven Oscar nominations throughout her career, and won the ‘Best Actress’ gong in 1942 for World War II drama Mrs Miniver.
7. In addition to acting and music, Dornan is passionate about sports. He supports Manchester United and was a talented rugby player at school, playing as a fleet-footed winger who could run the 100m in 11.1 seconds. This sporting prowess was beneficial when he moved into modeling. “Because I used to play a lot of sport I’ve always been in decent enough shape,” he said. “When I used to get asked to do a bit of body work before a photo shoot I’d lie and say, ‘Yeah, I’m going to the gym.’ I literally never did anything.”
8. Dornan is active on social media through his Twitter feed JamieDornan1. Some of his tweeting highlights include his damning verdict on iOS 7, a plug for his dad’s book and what alcoholic beverage tastes like “poo flavoured sand”.
9. He’s Married, Sorry ladies: In April, Dornan married actress-turned-singer Amelia Warner, who performs under the name Slow Moving Millie and the couple are expecting their first child. We hope Amelia steers clear of the set during those steamy Spanking scenes. Newly married, pregnant and most certainly hormonal cannot possibly bode well when watching your brand new hubby getting it on with another woman, even if it is on set!
SO what say you? Are you happy with this casting of Christian, Can Jaime pull it off? Let us know what you think in the comments! ;)